Sunday, May 20, 2012

Voices of the Day: The Neighbourhood



Hey Everyone! I'm back from a semester in Spain, and while I don't have any super-mega-guay Spanish music to share, I do have to update about what's been on my playlists for the past few months. To start with, I've got The Neighbourhood, an alternative/indie band from California (or as they spell it "Califournia") with a bit of a darker feel than a lot of the indie pop we hear from the west coast. I think we can attribute that to a slightly lazy, R&B influence that includes piano backgrounds and sliding choruses.

The group recently dropped their EP, I'm Sorry..., which includes the slightly Radiohead-esque Leaving Tonight (just because it reminds me a little of Karma Police), Female Robbery (the intro sounds very Kanye, but they bring it back to their own unique style throughout the song), and Sweater Weather, among others. The last one seems to sum up the style of The Neighbourhood, with slow, sexy vocals over piano and an acoustic bridge that adds an alternative element.

Download their EP and take a listen.


-SNewman

No comments:

Post a Comment