Sunday, July 15, 2012

Voice of the Summer: Gary Clark Jr.


I can't believe summer is halfway over and I haven't yet written about my favorite discovery of the season. He's definitely on his way up, and he has the skills to get there. Sometimes I try to bring him up in random conversations just to talk about how awesome he is. Gary Clark Jr. is an incredible guitarist. His walking bass lines and electric solos earn him the label of our generation's blues revivalist.

Bright Lights, the title track to his most recent EP, completely jams out in an homage to NYC, with lyrics prophesying "you gonnna know my name"; in my opinion, that's a very true statement. His scratchy vocals complement sliding guitar riffs and give way to an awesome guitar solo that reappears throughout the song. You can download the track for free on www.GaryClarkJr.com 

If you live in or near NYC he's playing a free concert at Summerstage with indie-pop band, The Givers, another favorite on July 28th. Guess who's going?

(This girl)

-SNewman

No comments:

Post a Comment