Sunday, January 23, 2011

Voices of Cornell University: Kinetics and One Love



It turns out the Ivy League has more to offer than one would expect. Kinetics and One Love, a New York based hip hop/electronic duo, got together in 2006 at Cornell University. Their album, Fading Back to Normal, debuted in 2009.

Although, they're not new to the game, their new single Sign Language is what really grabbed my attention. Rapper, Kinetics, has a lyrical style much like that of Immortal Technique and is simply lacking in the aggression that Immortal Technique has made his own. Kinetics' flow is much smoother and evenly coats the electronic beats that One Love provides. The sound is unique, it's fresh and the message challenges the norm. Sign Language is about a girl and a boy, just your normal Romeo and Juliet...except Juliet is deaf. Listen to it until the end, the story is gut wrenching.

Kinetics and One Love depart from this more serious note in several other songs such as Breakup Sex, Horny Girl, and Halley's Comet. If you liked the sound of Sign Language, Halley's Comet is the track for you. If you're more into Dub Step and appreciate a House and Hip Hop mashup here and there, Breakup Sex and Horny Girl have something to offer for you.

I'd say these guys are worth a listen. They have a little bit of something for everyone.

Other artists they remind me of: Kid Cudi, Drake, Gorilla Zoe
I would listen to them when: I'm about to go out, I'm in the car, I'm dancing around my room.
I would recommend them to: Frat boys, College students in general, anyone looking for something a little bit different.


Sign Language - Kinetics and One Love


No comments:

Post a Comment